Still getting clarification on this initiative as it was just brought to my attention by a member.
In the memo, it states members will be selected, you will attend a one day training and you will be expected to give up your self directed prep to plan with colleagues twice a month and create a presentation for the end of the year (Option A for observations)
This is voluntary, you should not be told you have to participate.
My biggest concern is that during negotiations we advocated for time to collaborate with teachers, especially when we have push-in (classroom based) therapy sessions. The DOE stated we have enough time in our schedule already.
As the Literacy Initiative they gave members a reduced caseload (2 sessions) or paid per session to collaborate with the teachers. I will be discussing this with DOE and recommend you ask this when a speech supervisor asks you if you want to participate.
We are advocating and trying so hard to negotiate time to complete all of our work, that if you are willing to give up your self directed prep time they will continue to say we have time to do everything within the workday.
REGISTER for the UFT Speech Survival Class
9-20-23 – Welcome, Roles and Responsibilities
9-27-23 – SOPM
10-5-23 – SESIS
10-12-23 – Lesson Plans, Observations
10-19-23 – Sabbaticals, Leaves, ILOD
10-26-23 – Tenure
From Principals Digest 9-12-12
School-based DOE parking permits expire on November 1. You should inform your CSA, UFT and DC 37 staff to apply for parking permits through the DOE’s parking permit application self-service portal beginning September 12 through October 4; note that the portal works best in Google Chrome. The following types of parking permits are available to staff in the above unions, if there are DOT-designated, on-street parking spaces at their school:
- On-Street (OS) Parking: CSA members
- On-Street General (OSG) Parking: UFT and DC 37 members
- Itinerant On-Street (OSI) Parking: CSA and UFT members
Once your staff submits their applications through the portal, the DOE will deliver parking permits to your school by November 1. The DOE parking permits may only be distributed after you have collected the expired parking permits from your staff and given them to the custodian engineer of your building. You should note that On-Street (OS) and On-Street General (OSG) parking permits are school-specific (i.e., both the OS and OSG parking permits will specify the school name and the designated streets for parking); school-based staff who work at more than one school will be issued an Itinerant On-Street (OSI) permit to be used at assigned schools with available DOT-designated, street-parking spaces. You should also note that there will not be an increase in the number of parking spaces available at school sites as a result of issuing DOE parking permits. Therefore, all DOT-designated, street-parking spaces will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Due to system maintenance, SESIS will be unavailable at the following times:
- From 8:30 p.m. on September 15 until 5:00 a.m. on September 16, and
- From 8:00 p.m. on September 28 until 12:00 a.m. on September 29.
9-10-23 Working on:
- Continuing to return the over 300 emails received since Wednesdays meeting
- Advocating to get messaging out to principals regarding the 25 minutes in person for pilot workday schools
- Will be meeting with DOE to receive guidance on how to enter the 55 remote minutes in our schedules.
- Recap as on facebook some of the information from the meeting may have been misinterpreted:
- All schools that are the pilot workday, 6 hours 20 minutes in the student school day with Monday PD and Tuesday OPW(or some configuration of this 100 minutes) and 55 minutes of remote parent engagement. This may be elementary, MS, HS or D75 schools. In these schools, speech providers will have 25 minutes in person before or after the school hours M-TH (instead of the PD/OPW) and 55 minutes remote for SESIS work. If you are a pilot workday MS/HS that has C6 periods you must choose a preference from the activity list. (Usually choose: Perform student assessment activities (including portfolios, performance tests, IEPs, ECLAS, etc.).
- All schools that are 6 hours 50 minutes have the 155 minutes for SESIS work within the school day. If you have a C6 period that will be your SESIS time, if not (usually D75) you continue to put SESIS in your schedule like last year.
As per 8/29/23 Principal Digest: Labor Policy Guidance: 2023-24 Workday for UFT School Based Titles. Members in schools with the pilot workday schedule will begin the 25 minutes in person and the 55 minutes remote the week of Sept 11th.
School Schedules for 2023-2024: (I am working to get a newsletter sent out to all members)
The first two days of school (9/5 and 9/6) are PD days and you follow the same schedule as the rest of the staff (6 hours 50 min).
- Single session school day remains 6 hours and 20 minutes. The new Pilot Workday for teachers and paraprofessionals reconfigured the 155 minutes into 60 minutes of PD on Monday afternoon, 40 minutes of OPW on Tuesday afternoon. The remaining 55 minutes is for Parent Engagement which may be conducted remotely.
- For Speech teachers the 155 minutes continue to be used for SESIS in single session schools. There will be 25 minute blocks Monday-Thursday. The 25 minutes can be scheduled immediately before the start of the school day or immediately after the end of the school day Monday-Thursday. The remaining 55 minute can be scheduled remotely every week for SESIS work.
- as per UFT website: FAQ:
- Can the 25 minutes that speech teachers do Mondays through Thursdays be done in the morning, as in prior years? Yes, they can be done in the morning or afternoon, no SBO needed.
- In singe session schools Speech teachers will continue to participate in the 4 remote evening PTC conferences scheduled as per the calendar.
- Multi session schools will continue to have a 6-hour 50-minute day.
- Speech teachers are scheduled a daily SESIS period instead of choosing a professional activity period( C6) from the menu.
- Speech teachers continue to participate in the two after school 40 minute grade/faculty conferences October-May.
- As per the new contract, In the months of October, January, February and April there will be 40 minutes of remote parent engagement instead of one of the 40 minute conferences.
- Speech teachers will continue to participate in the two remote evening parent teacher conferences as scheduled in the calendar.
- D75 school schedules have not changed.
- Many SBOs have taken place, so if your school completed an SBO you will follow that schedule.
- Any questions about your schedules email me at [email protected]. I will not answer any questions regarding schedules on facebook as each school and/or SBO is different. I will be reviewing all the emails already sent to me by the beginning of next week.
Updated List of Supervisors D75 and D1-32 as of June 2023